As Finovate goes increasingly global, so does our coverage of financial technology. Finovate Global: Fintech News from the Periphery is our weekly look at fintech innovation in developing economies in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe.
- TechCrunch profiles Africa-based microlender, Branch, which recently picked up an investment of $70 million.
- IT News Africa takes a look at the demand for “senior leaders” in Africa’s growing fintech industry.
- International money transfer firm PaySend partners with Access Bank Nigeria
- Polish Financial Supervision Authority signs MoU with Hong Kong Monetary Authority to encourage fintech collaboration.
- U.K.-based cross border payments company Ebury opens first office in Bucharest, Hungary. (In Hungarian.)
- Crowdfundinsider notes the surge in number of registered fintechs in Lithuania courtesy of report from Invest Lithunia.
- ayondo celebrates being the first fintech to list in Singapore.
- Sri Lanka’s largest bank, Bank of Ceylon, to deploy anti-money laundering solution from CustomerXP.
- Central Bank of Malaysia establishes open API implementation group to develop standards for financial sector.
- World Finance Magazine awards Temenos Best Islamic Banking & Finance Software Solution at 2018 Islamic Finance Awards.
- RAKBANK, also known as The National Bank of Ras Al Khaimah, launches contactless cash withdrawal facility for its more than 170 NFC-enabled ATMs.
- Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) signs MoU with Middle East Venture Partners to support development of the area’s capital technology ecosystem.
- Nubank Challenges Brazil’s Big Banks in Wake of $150 Million Funding Round.
- Mexico enacts legislation to regulate its fintech sector.
- Colombian roboadvisor Ualet wins honors as Latin America’s Most Innovative Startup at industry event sponsored by Finnovista.