Today, we’re proud to announce that Toshi is becoming Coinbase Wallet. This is not just a new name, but part of a larger effort to invest in products that will define the future of the decentralized web and make that future accessible to anyone. At Coinbase, we believe that the applications of the future will be built on a decentralized internet (the blockchain). Everyone will own a crypto wallet that allows them to access decentralized applications (dapps) and that wallet will be their gateway to the open financial system.
Toshi was developed by the Coinbase team a little over a year ago. When the product launched, it featured the world’s first mobile dapp browser. Later, we became the first wallet to launch crypto collectibles. Our goal was to make managing crypto and accessing the decentralized web as easy as downloading an app on your mobile phone. And as part of our effort to be the most trusted brand in the space, we also set out to provide best-in-class secure storage. With Coinbase Wallet, your private keys are secured using your device’s Secure Enclave and biometric authentication technology.
What can you do with Coinbase Wallet?
We’re redefining what you should expect a crypto wallet to be. Coinbase Wallet is more than just a tool to access your cryptocurrency — we view it as your home-base for exploring the decentralized web and its possibilities.
With Coinbase Wallet, you have the ability to:
- Manage ETH and all your ERC-20 tokens (very soon we’ll be supporting BTC, BCH and LTC).
- Receive airdrops and ICO tokens.
- Buy and store crypto collectibles — non-fungible tokens that are unique — and use them in games, or trade them on marketplaces.
- Send payments to anyone anywhere, without geographical borders or fees.
- Access leading decentralized exchanges and relayers to buy and sell tokens.
- Explore the full universe of third party dapps that enable everything from taking out a loan or lending to others on the blockchain to earning crypto by answering questions, performing services, or completing tasks.
If you already use Toshi, you can look forward to the same great product, with a brand new look. Your Toshi app will automatically upgrade to Coinbase Wallet shortly. To learn more about Coinbase Wallet or download the app, visit wallet.coinbase.com. For the latest updates, follow us on Twitter @CoinbaseWallet.
We are in the early days of a new technology revolution. One that will reshape everything we do online — from how we identify ourselves, to performing tasks, to buying and selling goods and services. We view our job at Coinbase as building the easy to use, trusted products that move the world closer to an open financial system. Coinbase Wallet is one part of our effort to accelerate the adoption of crypto and dapps around the world. We’re looking forward to keeping our community updated as we continue to build the most secure and easy to use crypto wallet in the space.
Based Blockchain Network