September 4, 2018
This blog is for entrepreneurs, who want to start their own escooter sharing startup like Bird, Lime and Spin. Here, we have covered top 5 scooter sharing systems operators of 2018 along with their growth and market presence. It also contains approximate hours of developing escooter app like Bird.
If you are living anywhere in Santa Monica, San Jose, San Diego, Washington, DC, and LA, you might have noticed e-scooters on the road that are highly preferred by people for their daily commute.
In less than a year, a number of fast-growing electric scooter startups have stocked San Francisco and U.S. city streets with lightweight and connected vehicles. Considered as a brand-new method of urban transit for the last mile of daily travel, these e-scooter companies have collectively raised more than $255 million from venture capitalists.
These e-scooters are the future of daily commutes like activity classes, office, tuition, and attending colleges on big campus as students have recognized this new affordable way to get around in the city.
Before discussing 2018’s top electric scooter system operators, let’s check out the overall growth and current market situation of e-scooter sharing startups.
Rapid Growth of Scooter Sharing Startups
- The worldwide electric shooter market size was valued at USD 17,630 million in the year 2017 and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 12.8% during the forecast period, according to the report by Polaris Market Research.
- The arrival of increased greenhouse and carbon emissions both are expected to contribute to the adoption of electric scooters over the next eight years. This graph shows the electric scooters market by product, 2014 – 2024.
- E-Scooter sharing startups like Bird, Limebike, Spin, and Skip are making money in the same way their much larger car-sharing counterpart Uber does.
- As per the report from Polaris Market Research, electric scooters are in high demand compared to electric motorcycles. Moreover, these Li-ion battery-based scooters are expected to witness the highest growth in demand.
- In spite of regulatory hurdles on a city-by-city basis, electric scooter companies and their respective services are constantly making their way to markets all over the world. For instance, Lime has its availability into Madrid, introducing its hundreds of electric scooters in the Spanish capital.
- Bird has launched its e-scooter services in Paris and laid out its intentioned to bring electric scooters to Tel Aviv.
Image Source: TechCrunch
- Countrywide, you can find Bird, Spin, Lime, Goat and Skip that have collectively deployed scooters in 33 cities.
- In addition to this, the sales at Lime increased more than tenfold from the month of January to April of this year, while Jump accredited to its growth from bikes to scooters in February month.
Another company named Spin that was founded as a bikeshare business has declared its foray into scooters that same month. In short, the scooter add-ons came into the limelight after Bird introduced scooter trend with its first launch in Santa Monica, CA.
2018’s Top 5 Scooter Sharing Systems Operators That Have Gained Much Attention
1. Bird – Electric Vehicle Sharing Company
Based in Santa Monica, California, Bird is a dockless scooter sharing startup that is popular for operating electric scooters in cities throughout North America, at a cost of one dollar to rent plus fifteen cents a minute.
Talking about total funding amount, Bird has raised $415 million in funding so far; however, the startup has recently secured the funding of $300 million in a round led by Sequoia Capital. It was the second round of funding that Bird secured in the past few months.
The funding amount has sent the company from a reported $1 billion valuation in May to a $2 billion valuation by the end of June. Moreover, the company has become the first electric scooter sharing unicorn.
Image Source: Bird
The people can locate and unlock the e-scooter through a smartphone application that comes with a range of features, including:
- Maps to Find Nearby Scooter
- Real-time GPS Tracking
- QR Code Integration to Lock and Unlock
- Payment Gateway Integration
- Smart Lock
2. Lime – Your Ride Anytime
Founded back in 2017, Lime is one of the most buzzworthy scooter startups, helping people to move around their cities in an affordable and convenient way while eliminating their carbon footprint.
So far, the company has raised $467M in funding with its top strategies. The funding rounds led by many investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, Fifth Wall Ventures, GGV Capital, Section 32, Rainbow Technologies, Coatue Management, IMO Ventures, DCM Ventures, Decent Capital, IDG Ventures, 7 Seas Ventures, and DHVC.
Recently, the company has raised $335 million round and teamed up with transportation behemoth Uber. Moreover, the company has gone international by launching its services in Madrid, launching hundreds of electric scooters in the Spanish Capital. Lime has already hit over 3 million rides across the fleets of bikes and scooters.
Image Source: Lime
The Lime rider needs to download the application in the device to check nearby scooters and e-bikes, scan the QR code or enter a number to unlock and lock-up safely when finished riding. Here are some of the main features of lime bike:
- Find a nearby Lime-S (electric scooter).
- Unlock your ride by scanning the QR code or entering the ID.
- Safe & Secure Payment Through Payment Gateway Integration.
3. Spin – Ride Your Way
Founded in 2016 by Derrick Ko, Euwyn Poon, and Zaizhuang Cheng, Spin is an electric scooter startup that has raised total funding amount of $8 Million that led by investors like Grishin Robotics, CRCM Ventures, and Exponent.
According to the TechCrunch, the company is raising around $125 million through blockchain-based security token offering (STO), Axios first reported and TechCrunch has also learned. Talking about this startup, it is one of the popular electric scooter service providers that is currently available in more than 19 cities as seen in the below image.
Image Source: Spin
Last year, Spin brought its stationless bike-share program to South San Francisco, but in the month of January, the company unveiled its stationless electric bikes and it is solely focusing on electric scooters, according to the sources. Riders can access the electric scooter service through the Spin app, allowing them to find nearby scooters and book as per their convenience. Here are some of the exclusive features of the Spin app:
- Map to find the nearest e-scooters.
- Enter your payment details and receive an automatic free trip.
- QR code to unlock the scooter and ride it.
4. Skip – The Best Way to Get There
Skip is a San Francisco-based dockless electric scooter startup that is launched by Boosted Boards. According to the latest report from TechCrunch, “The dockless e-scooter startup, Skip, has raised $6 million in Seed funding with these top strategies. The funding amount led by Initialized Capital via Alexis Ohanian (Reddit co-founder) and Ronny Conway’s A Capital, with SV Angel”.
The company has landed permits to operate in Portland under a new pilot program that aims to gauge how the controversial form of micro-transportation will fit in the city. So, the commuters can download the Skip application in their smartphone to locate the nearest scooter, scan a QR code and they are good to go.
Image Source: Skip
Using skip application, users can find nearby e-scooters and book in advance. They can unlock the scooter through QR code and ride it as per their convenience. Here are some of the top features of Skip application:
- Maps to look for the e-scooters nearby.
- Schedule Ride allows people to schedule the ride in advance so that they don’t get to the place.
- Unlock the bike using the QR code.
- Make payment of the ride through payment gateway integration.
- Social media integration to share with friends and relatives.
5. Goat – Dockless Scooter Rental
When it comes to talking about dockless electric scooter company in Austin, GOAT has received official permits from the city’s transportation department for its pilot program. The spokesperson of the company says the company plans to continue partnering with local cities to launch its electric scooter service across the nation.
This e-scooter sharing system operator has not raised any venture capital dollars, and so far, the company has deployed about 20 scooters in Austin – although it has a permit for up to 500. While the competitors of this startup have already put out 500 scooters each on local streets.
Image Source: GOAT
Moreover, the GOAT app provides instant access to dockless electric scooters in cities and on campuses. Commuters just need to download the app and can get access to the following features:
- Instantly find a nearby scooter on the map.
- Unlock scooter through QR code & ride anywhere.
- Reserve a scooter in advance using schedule feature.
- Share with your friends and ride together through social media integration.
So, these are the 5 successful electric scooter sharing startups that are doing extremely well in the market. By considering the growth and success of these electric scooter startups, if you have decided to start your own e-scooter sharing startup and develop an app like Bird and Lime-S, then you can check out the given table that highlights the approximate hours of developing electric scooter sharing app.
Approximate Hours of Developing E-Scooter App like Bird and Lime
However, these are the approximate hours that are identified by one of sr. mobile app developers. These development hours vary, depending upon the mobile app development company that you prefer to hire for your project. To get the exact development hours, you can to talk to our sales representative, who provides a free consultation to all prospect.
Ready to Turn Your E-scooter App Idea into a Successful E-scooter app like Bird?
You have already checked that e-scooter sharing startups are growing rapidly like the ride-hailing market. There are many investors, who are taking interest in these electric scooter startups and investing a lot of money. Still, there is a big room for all those entrepreneurs and startups, who are planning to enter the E-scooter market.
If you are having an app idea on e-scooter app development, you can get in touch with us as we are a leading e-scooter app development company that has already understood the e-scooter market and provides e-scooter app development services. Just fill our contact us form and one of our sales representatives will get back to you in less than 48 hours.
Note: To keep our readers informed with the latest information with scooter sharing system, we will keep updating this blog and add new scooter sharing operators in the near future.
This page was last edited on September 1st, 2018, at 8:09.
Have an App Idea?
Get your free consultation now
Based Blockchain Network